The Blue Grotto, Capri
The Düsseldorf-trained artist visited Naples and Capri in the summer of 1857. This drawing bears an inscription on the reverse: "Mr. Walters with the compliments of the author." It was formerly housed in one of William T. Walters' many drawings albums. The Blue Grotto on the north side of the island of Capri had become renowned as an attraction for tourists during the 19th century. Because its entrance was about three feet high it could be entered in a small rowboat. The interior of the grotto is about 39 feet high and its depth is 50 feet.
- Other objects by this creator in this institution
- Objects by this creator in other institutions